Friday, October 7, 2011

Home again!

The deed is done.  I have a brand new, prosthetic knee joint in my right leg.  I am not going to post a photo of the incision (You're welcome!) even though the nurses at the re-hab facility and the visiting nurse who came to my home today say it's beautiful.  That's nurse talk for no draining, no redness, no swelling (other than the expected) and no signs of infection.

My knee still hurts, albeit in a different way from before the surgery.  And, after all, how could it not considering what has been done?  (Google it.)

All the preparation I did has really paid off.  I made space for a walker--which I am no longer using--got grab bars, a shower stool, etc. and I exercised to be strong going in so that I would be strong coming out.  I learned a lot through this process including how compassionate the nurses aides I encountered both in the hospital and in re-hab are.  I was deeply touched by their kindness.  (Here's to Alicia and Rosa and Jenire.) 

It turned cold and wet just before I got home and had I not spent four hours with home health people today (the RN and the Occupational Therapist who says I don't need her and won't be back) I was planning to take a walk on the sidewalk along my street.  But by the time everyone had come and gone I was pretty tired.

I expect a full recovery and much sooner than anyone--other than me!--expected. 

In short, all is well.

8 comments:

Laura Fry said...

Welcome home! I've been thinking of you, hoping all is well. Sounds like you are making great progress. :)
cheers!
Laura

Deanna said...

Glad you are feeling better. I'm waiting for the knee to even feel better as it heals.

Sandra Rude said...

I'm so glad to hear it went well and you're back home. Here are my wishes for a quick recovery, and a pain-free knee in future!

Carol said...

Glad you're doing so well. My daughter, in her early 20s, tore both her ACLs last year (not at the same time) so we're very familiar with all the pain, rehab, etc that you're experiencing. Our thoughts have been with you as you've been recuperating!!!

Winter Redd said...

Sharon, get well soon! I'm glad you've got a good knee and it went well!

Laura said...

Isn't it amazing? It hurts but you know there's an end to it so it's ok. Before I went in, I watched an actual surgery on some medical site - it was harrowing. I had been thinking I could do the epidural, but changed my mind after seening the vid. Oh, and my doctor said doing 2 knees at once didn't allow for an epidural anyway.

I'm glad you had a good experience and are walking without the walker already.

You sound like you're going to get the Wonder Woman badge too!!

Sharon said...

Thanks you, Laura, Deanna, Sandra, Caol, Winter and the second Laura for your comments. I have been working hard to get better and am just about to get into my AVL to finish threading the 20/1 linen for a bunch of towels. It's my right knee, so I am not sure I will be weaving tomorrow, but I will probably try it and see what I think.
I know better than to wreck the very good progress I have made so far.

Thank all of you for your good wishes. I am not crazy about pain--who in her right mind WOULD be?--but I know it won't be permanent, at least at the current intensity.

Cheri said...

Rest up & get well soon; may your recovery be quick & uneventful. I do look forward to seeing your wonderful weaving again (like all the other folks on here, I'm sure) but don't be rushing on our account, okay? ;)