Thursday, June 14, 2012

Back Again

Where have I been?  Here in Salt Lake City, mainly.  How have I been? 
As my father would have said "as busy as an ant on a hot rock".  Yes, scurrying and getting things done.

When I wrote here last I was headed to the Art Ball at the  Springville  Museum of Art.  It is a formal affair that takes place every year shortly after the annual Spring Salon opens there.  I drove down that Saturday evening and mingled with the folks at the Ball and a while after I got there my friend, Lee Benion, also arrived.  Lee is a painter (that's sort of like saying Isaac Stern is a violinist) and a dear friend.  [She also makes Mom's Stuff a salve that smells of pinyon pine and works wonders. www.momsstuffsalve.com]  There was a light buffet and then the awards ceremony.  Lee got a cash prize; I got to stand up and be recognized.  Still, out of about 1000 entries, 224 were accepted and mine was the only fiber piece.  There were a handful of photos, fewer sculptures and just one fiber piece. 

I had a student here in my studio which meant finishing something on the loom and dressing it for her use and tidying up after myself.  I had been keeping my head down and working hard and tidying was needed.

In between I have been cutting the lawn, weeding, nurturing my vegetable garden, doing laundry, volunteering at the nursing facility, exercising  and spending one whole weekend volunteering at a festival in the heart of downtown.

Right now I am waiting to hear whether I have the go ahead on a project reproducing the grille cloth for some radios built in 1930.  I have done the analysis of the teeny, tiny black and gold fabrics so I am ready.

I have wound a warp using a fine hemp yarn, the first I have ever purchased.  It is 16/2 so is pretty fine and a light tan color.  It's nice stuff and I put on enough for six or seven large towels woven in a two block twill.  Here is how they look on the loom:
I'm hoping that the pattern shows up a little better in the lower photo.  The twill blocks form circles (almost) over and over again across and down the cloth.  I am weaving the fourth towel now and really want to see how they look after being washed and ironed well.  The warp is sleyed 4/dent but vigorous washing ought to even things out.  I believe that they will be very absorbent and perhaps rival the linen towels I have made and use with pleasure daily.

The raspberries are starting to ripen.  I had enough for a generous serving over my morning cottage cheese for two days now and took a close look while mowing in the back garden.  I might be able to make a jar or two of raspberry jam in the next day or so.   Oh, boy!

1 comment:

Jon Robert Howe said...

Sharon! Wow, what a treasury of marvelous work. I always get your most recent post, but I haven't actually been to your blog-site until today since you left the class at Highland.

Again, WOW!!! I love the blue sky background and the warm framework for your wonderful fabrics.

I'm curious (so I can inform our next classes)--since you have no advertising, is this blog marketing your services: Classes, fabric sales etc. to your 50+ followers adequately? I would appreciate your comments if you would kindly take a few minutes and respond, I'd love to quote you this fall in our next round of WEB DESIGN AND MARKETING classes.

(Do you have any other web presence or is this it?)

If this is IT, IT is terrific. Couldn't be more proud of you and your excellent work. The pictures are first rate and the color combinations are spot on!

Do hope you can find time to respond! Thank you for applying the principles in such a lovely way. Of all the students I have enjoyed sharing the background of good marketing design with, you have most effectively applied them to your benefit.

Ideally WEB DESIGN & MARKETING is designed for those of us who love to work at home for the benefit of the world. Any suggestions as you remember "over your shoulder" that we could have done in class to more effectively meet your needs would be most appreciated.

Best always, your friend from Highland Continuing Education

Jon Robert Howe, CIW
Certified Internet Webmaster