Thursday, September 1, 2011

Back to work

My duaghter just left.  She lives in Massachusetts and will be flying there in a few days.  She was here for nearly a week during which time I did almost no weaving--as you might imagine.  I don't see her often so we must make the most of time we have, when we have it.

I did take her photo but she was adamant that I not post it and I bow to her wishes.

The cotton cloth is in the end stage at the moment.  I have a special shuttle, made by Jim Hokett, (Hokett Would Working), that is long but made with a very shallow profile especially for weaving the last few inches of the warp.  I think I can squeeze another inch out of this warp which will leave only about 8" unwoven (the depth of the castle, essentially).  I know I will find this shuttle endlessly useful.  You can see it here:

It came with a bobbin, which was fortunate because I use a Shacht double-ended bobbin winder and don't think I could make a quill using it.

Once I have woven this off, I will make some more cotton towels.  I have the colors all picked out.  They will contrast with this almost no-color warp.  (But, remember that once I have washed this cloth there will be a lot of green.)

I'm feeling a bit let down having my daughter go again.  She lives so far away that we don't get to see each other often.

By the way, as it turned out the appointment I made in June for a colonoscopy fell during Susan's visit.  While the prep was miserable (you need to be squeaky clean inside!) the whole procedure was the best experience I have had with any colonoscopy I have ever had (6th).  I grow polyps and need to get them cleared out at intervals and I am good to go for now!  Have you had yours?

No comments: