Monday, March 7, 2011

Ready to go!

I have color photos for you today.  The warp is all threaded, sleyed,  and tied on so that part is ready.  In all, I used 39 or 40 different colors and of course when they cross each other new colors will be generated.  If that isn't heaven, what is?

I have wound pirns and gotten out the end feed shuttles, so that part is ready, too.  I need to tie up the treadles--I am using my Macomber--before I can throw a shuttle.

The tentative title for the first piece is "Autumn Gold".  I was thinking about the poplar family in autumn:  there is a huge cottonwood tree in front of my house (152 years in that spot) and of course there are the aspens and Lombardy poplars that grow around here, too.  When they turn the color of this warp, they have a slightly spicy smell, a little like a combination of nutmeg and cinnamon.  Faint, certainly, but quite lovely and for me forever evocative of fall.  It may be my favorite season and we have lovely, long autumns here.

We won't mention that at 4:45 PM today it began to snow heavily.  What you don't know, won't hurt you.  Brrrrr.

1 comment:

Laura said...

Now that I live in the coastal Northwest, I no longer get to smell that wonderful spicy populus species smell. I miss it, and the colors that it represents.

I can't wait to see the fabric!